Are you looking for the easiest, fanciest and tastiest option to bring to your summer parties or picnics that happens to fit almost all dietary restrictions out there? This salad fits all this high order. I was blown away by the simplicity, loved the Michelin star restaurant style plating and feel like this fits a fruit/vegetable side dish option with ease.
So why did I pair this with the incredible album Me by Empress Of? Her album is so good for lazy summer days or low key summer parties. It is perfect for park days and has just enough upbeat vibes that it keeps the mood elevated continuously. I also feel like Me captures the essence of this Cantaloupe salad. What do you think? Let me know when you make it and listen to this album!
Inspired by Bon Appetit’s Recipe here.
Summer Cucumber and Cantaloupe Salad
- 1/2 of an English cucumber
- 1/2 of a cantaloupe
- 2 tsp EVOO
- 1/4 tsp aleppo pepper
- 4-6 basil leaves
- a wedge of lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place cut resistant gloves on your dominant hand. Using a mandolin, thinly shave the English cucumber into circular slices.
- Remove the rind of the cantaloupe and halve, removing the seeds with a large spoon. Place the flat side against the cutting side of the mandolin and thinly shave the cantaloupe. You may need to adjust the mandolin slicing width, you want the cantaloupe to cascade down into pieces that look like ribbon. If they aren’t doing this, make the slicing width thinner.
- Place the cucumber in a single layer on a plate.
- Top with the shaved cantaloupe, arranged in either small ‘roses’ (rolled into each other) or small arranged piles. For this plate, I went with a mix of both.
- Pour the olive oil on the cantaloupe, sprinkle with the aleppo pepper.
- Chiffonade the basil leaves. Sprinkle on top of the salad, squeeze the lime on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!